Director’s Fellowships are granted to outstanding scientists and engineers who show potential for being leaders in their fields. Director’s Fellows make significant contributions to Argonne’s strategic mission through existing programs or by initiating new research areas. A Director’s Fellow is hired as an Argonne Scholar with full benefits and a competitive salary. Director’s Fellowships can be renewed annually for up to two years.
The candidates' application packages are reviewed by the Distinguished Fellowship Review Committee. The next deadline to receive all application materials for the Director’s Fellowship is February 11, 2014 for appointments to begin on or after October 1, 2014. Fellowships may be renewed annually up to two years. The 2013 Fellowship carries a stipend of $78,000 per annum.
Argonne is an equal opportunity employer and we value diversity in our workforce.
Download the Instructions for Sponsors »
How to Apply :
You must read the application instructions before submitting your application:
Candidates must upload the following documents:
- Research proposal (≤ 2 pages, 12 point font, 1 inch margins)
Proposals should address background and importance of the proposed work, the research you expect to conduct at Argonne, and the broader impacts.
Candidates should keep in mind that application packages will be reviewed by a Lab-wide Postdoctoral Committee, whose members have diverse backgrounds.
- CV, including list of publications, abstracts and significant presentations
- Graduate School Transcripts
- Cover letter (optional)
If you DO NOT have all of the required documents at this time, you may come back to your application and upload them later.
To submit your application, click on the application link.
1. Enter in your email address for Username.
2. Enter in your Password.
3. Click on the ‘Edit Registration' link (located on the bottom of the dialogue box).
4. Edit/Add any other information to your profile:
Upload a document (to upload a document, it must be of ‘.doc' or ‘.pdf' file type; document names cannot contain 'special' characters such as '&,@,#, etc)
5. Click the ‘Submit Registration' button to Apply.
Additionally, the package must contain:
- Nomination memo (≤ 2 pages) from Argonne sponsor (with copy to Division Director)
- Three letters of recommendation from other than Argonne staff
These letters must be sent directly via e-mail to Director-Postdoc@anl.gov . Letters must be in a PDF file from the individual(s) with a signature on official letterhead. In the subject line please include the name of the candidate.
The following criteria must be met for a document to be accepted as a transcript:
Transcripts must include the name of the school, the student's name, the school's watermark, official seal or symbol and the Registrar's signature.
Copies or faxed copies of official transcripts are acceptable. If degree has been completed, transcripts must reflect degree date. If the school does not provide transcripts, a copy of a diploma or letter from the Graduate School Office stating that you are enrolled or have completed all the requirements for the Ph.D. is acceptable. This letter must be on official school letterhead and signed by a representative from the Graduate School Office.
If the transcripts are not in English, please provide one of the following in addition to the transcripts:
- Translation of the information contained in the transcript
- Brief summary of the information contained in the transcripts
The following documents will not be accepted as Graduate School Transcripts: Unofficial grade reports downloaded from the university intranet, Documents missing the student's name or school's name, Documents missing the degree date.
Recipients of the 2012 Director’s Postdoctoral Fellowship
- Deborah Paskiewicz, Ph.D., University of Wisconsin-Madison. Dr. Paskiewicz joined the Materials Sciences Division under the sponsorship of Dr. Dillon Fong.
- Kyle Barbary, Ph.D., University of California-Berkeley. Dr. Barbary joined the High Energy Physics Division under the sponsorship of Dr. Kuhlmann.
- Sanketh Gowda, Ph.D., Rice University. Dr. Gowda will join the Chemical Sciences and Engineering Division under the sponsorship of Dr. Vilas Pol.
- Lindsey Bleem, Ph.D., University of Chicago. Dr. Bleem will join the High Energy Physics Division under the sponsorship of Drs. Salman Habib and Katrin Heitmann.
- C. Franklin Goldsmith, Ph.D., Massachusetts Institute of Technology. Dr. Goldsmith joined the Chemical Sciences and Engineering Division under the sponsorship of Drs. Robert Tranter and Stephen Klippenstein.
- Nathan Lemke, Ph.D., University of Colorado-Boulder/NIST. Dr. Lemke joined the Physics Division under the sponsorship of Dr. Zheng-Tian Lu.
- Joshua Snyder, Ph.D., Johns Hopkins University. Dr. Snyder joined the Materials Sciences Division under the sponsorship of Voja Stamenkovic.
Last Update: February 4, 2014